Remember when you were little and counted down the days until your birthday – looking forward to the cake and the gifts – your friends at school showing you a little extra attention because you brought a treat for everyone that day? Yep, I remember those days. How is it that the magic of birthdays kind of gets lost oh. . .at about age 30? LOL
I shouldn’t be so down and out! Today is my birthday and life IS good! I have a wonderful husband, two healthy and fabulous children, a prosperous career and the support of family and friends all around me. What the heck do I have to complain about?! Nothing, besides the fact that my piece of birthday cake will need to be smaller if I want to maintain my weight. 🙂 It all comes down to the food, doesn’t it?
That’s why today I’m sharing some comfort food because I can! Forget the calories for a minute and just enjoy! This Taco Spaghetti is hearty, satisfying and makes a ton!
This dish actually reminds me of my mom’s famous hot dish she makes. Do people still use the term hot dish? The definition is a whole lot of goodness in one pan: meat, pasta and veggies. An all-in-one meal! This Taco Spaghetti definitely meets all of the criteria!
I used a can of Ro-Tel to give the spaghetti a little kick. I could tell it was there. My husband (lover of all things spicy) didn’t seem to blink an eye or drop a bead of sweat. So, I guess I can’t classify this as a “spicy” dish but it has a little extra “something” that makes it quite addicting and something a little bit different than your traditional spaghetti and meat sauce.
So, today as I celebrate another year of sophistication. That’s what it is, right? I’ll be enjoying leftovers of this wonderful dish. Did I mention this spaghetti tastes even better the NEXT day? It does. It’s like chili. Unbelievable. Grab a fork and dig in.
If you’re nice, I may even share some of my birthday cake. . .that I may or may not be getting this evening. Honey. . .if you’re reading this. . .this is your cue to get me some cake. Hint. Hint. I’m not picky, but marble with vanilla butter cream frosting would be great. Ice cream. . .optional. I suppose I would eat it if you forced me. 🙂
A Mexican twist on traditional spaghetti – a one dish wonder, perfect for a hungry group!
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 10 ounces long spaghetti (broken in half), cooked
- 10 ounce Ro*Tel diced tomatoes & green chiles, undrained
- 8 ounces canned mushrooms (stems and pieces), undrained
- 8 ounces roasted garlic tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pkg mild taco seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon garlic pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups water
- Sour cream and Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Cook beef in large skillet with onions and minced garlic until no longer pink, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add taco seasoning, water, Ro*Tel, tomato sauce and mushrooms until well mixed.
- Add the cooked spaghetti to the skillet and mix together with other ingredients.
- Season with the salt and garlic pepper.
- Let cook for about 10 minutes before serving, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with sour cream and Parmesan cheese if you’d like.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 527
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 2011
- Fat: 22
- Saturated Fat: 12
- Unsaturated Fat: 7
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 46
- Protein: 37
- Cholesterol: 87