Homemade Rainbow Ice Cream – Homemade, no-churn, vanilla-flavored ice cream with swirls of neon color!
This post may include affiliate links. Please see my disclosure.
This weekend here in the Midwest, we “SPRING” ahead! I’m really looking forward to longer days and brighter skies. I’m coming down with quite the case of spring fever, and what better way to cure it than with an ice cream recipe!
Last week, I shared this recipe for Rainbow Fruit Dip, and this week, the rainbow theme continues, but this time, in the form of ice cream!
The ice cream I’m sharing today is made with only five ingredients. Although it’s very colorful, the taste is a mild vanilla, so it will appeal to most everyone, young and old.
Are you ready to get started? Then let’s get to makin’ some ice cream!
HOW TO MAKE RAINBOW ICE CREAM
To make this rainbow ice cream, you’ll need:
- Heavy whipping cream
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Neon food coloring (I used Chefmaster brand)
In a medium mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to beat heavy whipping cream on high until stiff peaks form.
Gently fold in the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla with the whipped cream.
Stir gently until the mixture has a uniform consistency.
Separate the mixture into six separate bowls.
Add three drops of food coloring (one color per bowl) to each bowl and stir well.
If you desire a richer color, add a couple extra drops.
Spoon half of three of the colors into the bottom of a loaf pan to create the first layer.
It really doesn’t matter which ones you start with. I chose yellow, blue and orange.
Continue with the next three colors for the second layer. I went with purple, green and pink!
Repeat to create layers three. . .
Then, grab your sprinkles and toss some on! How pretty does this look?
Cover the loaf pan with plastic wrap and place it in the freezer for at least 8 hours.
This ice cream scoops like room temp butter!😍 Gorgeous and delicious!
WHAT IS NO-CHURN ICE CREAM?
No-churn ice cream can be made without an ice cream machine or any extensive mixing! The key ingredient in no-churn ice cream is sweetened condensed milk which is what we use in this recipe.
WHY DOES HOMEMADE ICE CREAM MELT QUICKER?
It’s true. Homemade ice cream often melts quicker than ice cream you buy in the store. Why? Well, the ice cream at the store contains stabilizers that thicken the mixture and help it resist melting when frozen.
WHAT OTHER TOPPINGS CAN I ADD TO HOMEMADE ICE CREAM?
When you’re ready to enjoy your rainbow ice cream, the list of additional toppings and mix-in ideas are endless!
In addition to the sprinkles already on the ice cream, you could add:
- Whipped cream
- Hot fudge
- Hard chocolate coating (Magic Shell)
- Peanut butter cups
- Cookie dough
- Peanut butter
- Marshmallow creme
- Toasted coconut flakes
- And the list goes on. . .
HOW LONG DOES HOMEMADE ICE CREAM LAST?
Not long if it’s in my house.😂 Kidding aside, the longer the ice cream remains in the freezer, the firmer it will become. For best flavor and texture, finish the ice cream up within two weeks.
Rainbow Ice Cream
Homemade, no-churn, vanilla-flavored ice cream with swirls of neon color!
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Chefmaster Neon Food Coloring- Pink- Purple- Blue- Green- Yellow- Orange
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat heavy whipping cream on high until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in sweetened condensed milk and vanilla until uniform.
- Separate mixture into 6 separate bowls.
- Add three drops of food coloring, one color per bowl, to each bowl and stir well (add more food coloring if you desire a richer color).
- Spoon half of three of the colors into the bottom of a loaf pan to create the first layer.
- Continue with the next three colors for the second layer.
- Repeat to create layers three and four.
- Top ice cream off with sprinkles.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for about 8 hours or until ice cream is set.