Christmas Trifle Dessert – A festive Christmas layer dessert made with crumbles of white and red velvet cake and a sweet creamy filling!
This post may include affiliate links. Please see my disclosure.
There are a variety of different ways you can make a trifle dessert, but I find this one to be one of my favorites. In fact I have many different variations of this dessert including Easter and 4th of July versions!
Delicious cream layered between crumbled cake makes this dessert moist, decadent and absolutely delicious!
The finished result may look a bit intimidating and complicated, but it’s such an easy dessert to make- I promise! When it’s finished, you have an impressive display that’s sure to impress your guests.
HOW TO MAKE CHRISTMAS TRIFLE DESSERT
To make this festive trifle, you’ll need:
- Box white cake mix
- Box red velvet cake mix
- Green food coloring
- Cream cheese
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Tub whipped topping
Go ahead and preheat your oven to 350℉. Then, grease two 9×13 inch cake pans. Set them to the side.
PREPARING THE BATTER
- Prepare each cake mix according to the directions on the back of the box. You will need additional ingredients, depending on what brand cake mix you purchase.
- After mixing up the red velvet cake batter, add 10 green food coloring drops to the white cake mix.
- Make sure you keep the two batters separate.
- Transfer each bowl of cake batter into the cake pans.
Then, bake one cake at a time for 23-25 minutes.
After your cakes are done baking, pull them out and allow them to cool completely. You can place them on the counter on a pot holder to cool.
Next, make the cream. In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese, condensed milk, and whipped topping until well combined and smooth.
Crumble each cake in the baking pans. You can easily do this with your hands. Set aside ¼ cup of cake crumbles from each of the pans to garnish the dessert at the end.
To assemble your trifle dessert, alternate each color of cake with a layer of cream. Finally, sprinkle the remaining cake crumbs on top.
WHAT IS A TRIFLE?
A traditional trifle in England was made with sponge cake that has been soaked in alcohol. The cake is then placed between layers of jam and whipped cream.
The majority of trifles here in America do not contain alcohol. They usually consist of multiple layers of crumbled or cubed cake, pudding and often times fruit.
CAN I USE A HOMEMADE CAKE RECIPE?
Yes! You sure can! If you have a bit more time you can easily use your own favorite recipe or even my wacky cake recipe for the base of the trifle.
Double the recipe and make two cakes for the trifle. You will need to use food coloring and make one of the cakes red to make the perfect Christmas dessert.
WHAT IF I DON’T HAVE A TRIFLE BOWL?
What’s great about this dessert is the beautiful trifle bowl you assemble it in. I love how you can see the layers through the glass. So pretty!
I use a classic trifle bowl, but if you don’t have one, no worries! There are plenty of other containers you can use such as a straight-sided vase, a clear glass mixing bowl or other clear glass containers.
CAN I ADD FRUIT TO THE TRIFLE DESSERT?
Absolutely! Many trifle recipes include fruit to add additional texture, flavor and visual effect. You can add layers of fresh strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries if you choose.
Berries would pair best with the red velvet cake mix. If you want to use fruits such as oranges, kiwis, or bananas, I would recommend only using white cake mix.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVERS
The best way to store this Christmas trifle dessert is in the refrigerator. Cover your trifle dish tightly with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge.
A trifle dessert will stay good for about 2-3 days. After a couple days the cake will start to become mushy.
LOOKING FOR MORE CHRISTMAS DESSERTS?
- Christmas Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Christmas Sugar Cookie Cake Bars
- Cranberry Crumble Bars
- Christmas Peanut Butter Balls
- Chocolate Kiss Snowball Cookies
- M&M Cookie Dough Fudge
- Mint Chocolate Lush Dessert
- Crockpot Peanut Clusters
- Christmas Crunch Snack Mix
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Clusters
Christmas Trifle Dessert
A festive Christmas layer dessert made with crumbles of white cake and a sweet creamy filling!
- 1 white box cake mix (prepared according to box directions)
- 1 red velvet box cake mix (prepared according to box directions)
- Green food coloring
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 8 ounce tub whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 350º Fahrenheit.
- Prepare the cake mixes according to the box directions.
- To create the green layer, add 10 green food coloring drops to the white cake mix.
- Transfer each bowl of batter into a greased 9×13 cake pan.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk and whipped topping until well combined.
- Crumble each cake, setting aside a 1/4 cup of each color for topping the dessert.
- To assemble the trifle, alternate each color of cake with a layer of cream.
- Sprinkle the remaining cake crumbs on top.