Red White and Blue Trifle – An easy and patriotic red, white and blue trifle dessert made with crumbles of white cake and a sweet creamy filling!
This post may include affiliate links. Please see my disclosure.
The kids are beginning to count down the last days of school, hanging flower baskets are starting to appear in the neighborhood and many of us are getting our plans set for Memorial weekend.
It’s one of my favorite times of the year to get together with friends and family. For me, it signifies the beginning of summer (because who really waits until the “official” day in June?).
I’ve been planning the menu for our weekend up at the lake, and this Red White and Blue Trifle may just need to happen again! If you have a larger family or need something to take to a holiday potluck, this dessert is a showstopper!
Let’s get to making this trifle!
Making the Red White and Blue Trifle
Because you’re crumbling up the cake and need to fill the entire trifle, you’re going to need two white cake mixes (you’re baking two different cakes, a red cake and a blue cake).
While the cakes bake, you can go ahead and mix up the cream that will go in between your cake layers. It’s a mixture of cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk and Cool Whip.
Once the cakes are cooled and you’ve crumbled them up. You can start layering it all into your trifle bowl. Remember to reserve 1/4 cup of each of the cake crumbles for the topping!
The pattern I followed was blue cake layer, cream, red cake layer, cream, blue cake layer, cream, red cake layer, cream.
Then, you grab the crumbs you had set aside and sprinkle them over the dessert.
Does this qualify as a “deconstructed” dessert? It’s basically a fancy way to serve what would normally be a cake in a 13×9″ pan.
The cream is incredibly delicious and the sweetened condensed milk makes it a bit less thick so it can drip down into and through the cake layers to moisten everything up.
This red, white and blue trifle will definitely brighten up any dessert table.
And it’s great for serving a crowd, that’s for sure!
Plant a big spoon into the trifle and let your guests dig right in! Enjoy!
Red White and Blue Trifle
An easy and patriotic red, white and blue trifle dessert made with crumbles of white cake and a sweet creamy filling!
- 2 white cake mixes (prepared according to box directions) – I used 2 cups water, 1 cup oil, 8 egg whites
- red and blue food coloring or gel
- 8 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 12 ounce carton Cool Whip
- Preheat oven to temperature as directed on box of cake mix.
- Prepare each cake mix batter according to the box directions in separate bowls.
- To create the red batter, in one bowl, add red food coloring until desired color is reached.
- To create the blue batter, in the other bowl, add blue food coloring until desired color is reached.
- Bake each color in a greased 13×9” cake pan for 25-28 minutes.
- Allow cakes to cool.
- To make cream for trifle, combine whipped cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, and cool whip.
- Crumble each cake, setting aside 1/4 cup of each color for topping.
- To assemble trifle, alternate each color of cake with a layer of cream. The pattern I followed was blue cake layer, cream, red cake layer, cream, blue cake layer, cream, red cake layer, cream.
- Sprinkle the remaining cake crumbs on top for garnish.