Ice Cream Layer Cake – A colorful and festive cake made with vanilla ice cream, layered with blue moon and strawberry ice cream and topped with hot fudge and sprinkles!
This post may include affiliate links. Please see my disclosure.
What’s not to love about ice cream? Creamy, sweet, and perfect for a summer day. But what if you could take that deliciousness up a notch?
The dessert I’m sharing today is made with layers of ice cream and layers of cake. Believe it or not, the cake, itself, is made with vanilla ice cream, then layered with blue moon and strawberry ice cream and topped with hot fudge and sprinkles!
The red, white and blue layers make it a festive dessert for Memorial weekend, 4th of July and Labor Day weekend! For birthdays and other celebrations, just try different flavors of ice cream to bring in different colors and even textures!
HOW TO MAKE ICE CREAM LAYER CAKE
For this delicious ice cream cake recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Vanilla ice cream
- Self-rising flour
- Blue Moon ice cream
- Strawberry ice cream
- Hot fudge
- Sprinkles (optional)
Once you have gathered your ingredients, it’s time to start whipping up this super easy ice cream dessert. Follow the simple steps below!
MIXING AND BAKING THE CAKE
Preheat the oven to 350℉, then grease a loaf pan, set it to the side and follow the instructions below.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the vanilla ice cream, sugar and flour together until fully incorporated.
- The texture should be easy to spread.
- Pour the cake batter into the greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
ASSEMBLING THE CAKE
Cool the cake loaf for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan, then allow it to cool completely. Cut the ice cream loaf into thirds, horizontally. Then get ready to assemble the layers.
- First, go ahead and place parchment paper in the loaf pan. Then, add a layer of the cake to the bottom.
- Next, spread the Blue Moon ice cream over the layer of cake.
- Top with the middle cake layer.
- Spread the strawberry ice cream on top of the middle layer.
- Cover the ice cream with the top layer of cake, then cover the cake with foil and place it in the freezer for 3-4 hours.
- Using the parchment paper, remove the cake from the loaf pan and discard the parchment paper.
- Spread the hot fudge on top of the cake.
- Garnish the cake with sprinkles.
How amazing does this cake look?! You’ll want to dig right in!
WHAT OTHER ICE CREAM FLAVORS CAN I USE?
You will need vanilla ice cream to make the cake, however, you can use any other flavors of ice cream that you want for the layers. So, choose your favorite! You’ll need about 2 quarts of ice cream.
Some good flavor options for an ice cream layer cake include chocolate, cookie dough, cookies and cream, strawberry, and mint chocolate chip.
It’s really more about personal preference, so get creative and choose flavors you and your family or guests will truly enjoy!
HOW CAN I KEEP THE ICE CREAM FROM MELTING TOO QUICKLY?
Once you’ve added the ice cream, pop the cake in the freezer for at least 2 hours to let it firm up.
If you’re not serving it right away, wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container to prevent it from drying out.
WHAT’S THE BEST WAY TO STORE AN ICE CREAM CAKE?
Ice cream layer cakes are best stored in the freezer. To prevent the ice cream from melting, place the cake in a container with a lid or wrap it in plastic wrap before freezing it.
When you’re ready to serve the cake, let it thaw for about 15 minutes so that it’s easier to slice.
MORE CAKES YOU’RE SURE TO LOVE!
- Strawberry Crumble Ice Cream Cake
- Copycat Dairy Queen Ice Cream Cake
- Football Pools and Ice Cream
- Vanilla Wafer Icebox Cake
Ice Cream Layer Cake
A colorful and festive cake made with vanilla ice cream, layered with blue moon and strawberry ice cream and topped with hot fudge and sprinkles!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 ½ cup self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup blue moon ice cream, softened
- 1 cup strawberry ice cream, softened
- ½ cup hot fudge
- Sprinkles of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350º Fahrenheit.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat vanilla ice cream, flour, and sugar together.
- Transfer batter to a greased bread loaf pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow loaf to cool for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Cut loaf horizontally into thirds.
- Line loaf pan with parchment paper and place bottom layer of cake in pan.
- Spread blue moon ice cream over top, followed by the middle cake layer.
- Spread strawberry ice cream over top, followed by the top layer of cake.
- Cover and freeze for 3-4 hours.
- Remove from freezer. Using the parchment paper, remove ice cream cake from loaf pan.
- Spread hot fudge on top and add sprinkles.
- Slice and serve.