Watermelon Feta Salad – a surprisingly delicious combination of watermelon, veggies, greens, feta cheese, dried cranberries and pecans. Every bite is bursting with flavor!
This post may include affiliate links. Please see my disclosure.
Nothing is better than watermelon on a hot summer day! During the summer months, I tend to eat fresh and light. So, I am always looking for something new to make for lunch throughout the week.
This week, I’m excited to share this delicious Watermelon Feta Salad recipe with you. It’s super simple to make and sweet, but also healthy.
It’s surprisingly good (I know the combo may sound a bit strange) and every bite is packed with flavor. This salad is a great addition to any BBQ or family gathering!
HOW TO MAKE WATERMELON FETA SALAD
To make this summery salad, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- White balsamic vinegar
- Baby spinach
- Red onion
- Grape tomatoes
- Feta cheese
- Dried cranberries and pecans
Gather all of your ingredients and get everything assembled and ready to go. Whisk the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt together in a small bowl.
Set the dressing to the side.
In a large bowl, toss the arugula, spinach, onions, and tomatoes together.
Next, drizzle the vinaigrette dressing over your salad mixture.
Top your salad with feta cheese, watermelon, dried cranberries, and pecans before serving. Gently toss.
Serve and Enjoy!
HOW MUCH WATERMELON DO YOU NEED?
For this recipe, you will need 2 cups of bite-sized watermelon chunks. However, if you really love watermelon, you can add more. Or, you can add less watermelon if you choose.
If you are using a whole watermelon, you should only need a quarter of a watermelon depending on the size of your melon. Save the rest of the watermelon and whip up some Strawberry and Watermelon Frosé!
WHAT’S THE BEST WAY TO CUT UP A WATERMELON?
For me, I usually just grab the pre cut watermelon chunks from the produce section. However, if you have a whole watermelon you want to use, follow these steps to cut simple bite-size cubes:
- Cut your watermelon in half lengthwise.
- If you have a bigger watermelon, cut the half in half again lengthwise. This should make 4 quarters of a watermelon.
- Grab one quarter of the watermelon and make cuts from the top part of the melon to the rind.
- Then, make 1 inch slices from one side to the other side.
- Next, slice 1 inch strips down the length of the watermelon. Basically, make a crosshatch pattern on each quarter of the melon.
- Finally, starting from one edge of the watermelon, cut along the rind to make the cubes fall out.
For this recipe, you should only need to use 1 or 2 quarters of the watermelon.
WHAT OTHER CHEESE COULD I SUBSTITUTE FOR FETA?
If you don’t like the crumbly texture of feta cheese, you can substitute it. Instead of feta, I use small cubes of fresh mozzarella.
Mozzarella has a soft and moist flavor, so it will have a different texture and flavor without the feta. You can also use blue cheese crumbles if you enjoy a stronger flavor.
HOW DO I STORE ANY LEFTOVER SALAD?
This salad can be tricky to store once it’s already made. Both the watermelon and the dressing will cause the arugula and spinach leaves to become soggy when storing for too long.
If you must store leftovers, place them in an airtight container and put it in the fridge. Be sure to eat it within a day.
WHAT’S THE BEST WAY TO STORE WATERMELON?
If you’ve cut up a watermelon, you probably won’t use all of it in this recipe. Once you have already cut into your watermelon, you will need to store it in the refrigerator.
Place the watermelon quarters or cubes into a ziplock bag or storage container, then place the bag of watermelon in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat it.
OTHER EASY SALAD RECIPES TO TRY
- Panzanella Salad
- Dorito Taco Salad
- Broccoli Tomato Salad
- Avocado Salad
- Turkey Crunch Salad
- Cranberry Almond Broccoli Salad
Watermelon Feta Salad
A surprisingly delicious combination of watermelon, veggies, greens, feta cheese, dried cranberries and pecans. Every bite is bursting with flavor!
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- ½teaspoon salt
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 cups bite-sized watermelon chunks
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries and pecans
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, and salt together. Set aside.
- Combine the arugula, spinach, onions, and tomatoes in a large salad bowl.
- Drizzle the prepared vinaigrette over the salad mixture. Toss to coat.
- Add the feta cheese, watermelon, dried cranberries, and pecans just before serving.