Apple Kuchen Bars – These amazing Kuchen bars feature cinnamon sugar-tossed apples nestled into a sweet dough and topped with a crackled sugar topping.
This post may include affiliate links. Please see my disclosure.
If you’ve never heard of Kuchen, this dessert originated in Germany and is a traditional mash-up of cake and pie, topped with fruit or a creamy custard.
Today, the dish is enjoyed by people all over the world, and has become a popular choice for potlucks and picnics.
The Apple Kuchen Bars I’m sharing today feature cinnamon sugar-tossed sliced apples nestled into a sweet dough and topped with a crackled sugar topping.
The bars can be served either cold or warm, and are often accompanied by a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream.
HOW TO MAKE APPLE KUCHEN BARS
To make these scrumptious apple Kuchen bars, you’ll need:
- Butter (softened)
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
MAKING THE KUCHEN DOUGH
Preheat your oven to 350℉, then, spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. Then, follow the instructions below!
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix 2 cups of flour, salt and 1 cup of butter until crumbly.
- Slowly add your water until it becomes doughy.
- Press the dough into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until golden brown. Then, let the crust cool.
PREPARING THE KUCHEN LAYERS
- While the crust is cooling, combine your apples with 1 cup of sugar and cinnamon until evenly coated.
- Pour the apple mixture over the crust.
- Next, in a medium bowl beat 1 cup of flour, ½ cup of butter, and 1 cup of sugar until crumbly.
- Sprinkle the topping over the top of the apples.
Bake the apple bars for 65-70 minutes or until the top begins to brown.
I love to serve these bars while they’re still warm. So, I usually allow them to cool off just enough that they’ll be easy to cut.
WHAT KIND OF APPLES SHOULD I USE?
When it comes to baking Kuchen bars, there are a few different types of apples that you can use. For a tart and tangy flavor, Granny Smith apples are a good option. For a sweeter flavor, you could use Golden Delicious or Honeycrisp apples.
For a more complex flavor, a mix of different types of apples is always nice. Whichever type of apple you choose, make sure that they are fresh and firm so that they don’t turn to mush when baked.
CAN I MAKE THESE BARS AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes! These bars actually taste even better when they have had a chance to sit for a day or two. This gives the flavors a chance to meld together and results in a more intense flavor profile.
If you do make them ahead of time, simply store them in an airtight container at room temperature until ready to serve.
HOW SHOULD APPLE KUCHEN BARS BE STORED?
Unbaked bars will last for up to two days in the refrigerator. Baked Apple Kuchen Bars will last for up to four days when stored in an airtight container.
You can also freeze these apple bars. Wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and they will last for up to three months in the freezer.
HUNGRY FOR MORE APPLE RECIPES?
Apple Kuchen Bars
These amazing Kuchen bars feature cinnamon sugar-tossed apples nestled into a sweet dough and topped with a crackled sugar topping.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour, 35 minutes
- Yield: 24 servings 1x
- 3 cups flour, divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups butter, softened and divided
- 4–6 tablespoons water
- 6 cups peeled, cored, and sliced apples
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Prepare a 9×13 baking dish by spraying it with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat 2 cups flour, salt, and 1 cup butter until crumbly.
- Add water slowly while mixing until dough begins to form.
- Press dough into your prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until edges turn golden brown.
- While crust is cooling, prepare apples.
- Combine sliced apples, 1 cup sugar, and cinnamon. Stir until apples are evenly coated.
- Pour apples evenly over crust.
- In a medium bowl, beat 1 cup flour, ½ cup butter, and 1 cup sugar until crumbly. Sprinkle topping evenly over top of apples.
- Bake for 65-70 minutes or until the top begins to brown and the apples are tender.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy.