Baked Apple Donuts – Homemade fresh apple donuts, sprinkled with a crunchy cinnamon sugar. Baked, not fried and so delicious!
This post may include affiliate links. Please see my disclosure.
This week was a rollercoaster, weather-wise. We started in the 60s, Tuesday it got to nearly 80 and today it’s in the low to mid-50s. That means. . .it’s officially fall.
And with fall comes colorful mums, apple cider, wagon rides, pumpkin picking and lots of baking!
Today, I’m sharing a recipe for homemade Baked Apple Donuts. They’re much easier to make than their fried counterparts and come together quickly with no kneading, rolling, rising or frying!
Ready to BAKE some donuts? Then, let’s get going!
HOW TO MAKE BAKED APPLE DONUTS
To make these flavorful baked apple donuts, you’ll need:
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Ground cinnamon
- Unsweetened applesauce
Once you have gathered your ingredients, begin by preheating the oven to 375º Fahrenheit.
In a medium mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Whisk it all together.
In a separate large mixing bowl, add melted butter, eggs, sugar, buttermilk, nutmeg and applesauce. Mix all of the ingredients together until combined.
Stir in the grated apples.
Then, add the dry ingredients and mix until the dough is uniform.
You’re going to pipe the batter into the donut pan next.
WHAT’S THE BEST WAY TO FILL THE DONUT PAN WITH BATTER?
A disposable piping bag or small ziplock sandwich bag with the tip snipped off works best for filling the donut pan. It works wonderfully to prepare perfectly shaped donuts!
Just be careful not to overfull the donut pan. Only fill them about 3/4 of the way full. If you overdo it, the donut batter will spill over the edges of the pan and lose their shape.
WHERE DO YOU BUY DONUT PANS?
I found my donut pans on Amazon. It’s a set of two pans from Wilton for about $20.
Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the donuts spring back when pressed lightly with your fingertip. Do not over bake, or the donuts will be dry.
After the donuts are baked, allow them to cool and then brush each donut with some melted butter.
Dip each of the donuts into the sugar/cinnamon mixture.
CAN YOU MAKE THE DONUT BATTER AHEAD OF TIME?
You can! Prepare the batter the night before, put it in a covered container and place it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
HOW LONG DO BAKED DONUTS LAST?
You can store the donuts in an airtight container or storage bag at room temperature for up to two days, however, they will always taste best the same day you make them.
If you need to store them longer, keep them in an airtight container in the fridge. Just warm them for about 15-25 seconds in the microwave before eating!
CAN YOU FREEZE BAKED DONUTS?
Yes, you can! They can actually be frozen in an airtight freezer container or bag for up to two months. Just thaw them overnight in the fridge and warm for 15-25 seconds in the microwave.
ARE BAKED DONUTS HEALTHY?
Well, I’m not sure I would use the word, “healthy.” They still have carbs, but they’re much better for you than traditional deep-fried donuts. As anything, they should be enjoyed in moderation. ☺️
LOOKING FOR MORE TASTY FALL TREATS?
- Mile High Pumpkin Pie Bars
- Cinnamon Roll Poke Cake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pumpkin Dump Cake
- Easy Apple Crisp
- Pumpkin Mug Cake
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Crustless Pumpkin Pie
- Snicker Caramel Apple Dip
- Pumpkin Pie Cake Bars
- Cheesecake Pumpkin Pie
Baked Apple Donuts
Homemade fresh apple donuts, sprinkled with a crunchy cinnamon sugar. Baked, not fried and so delicious!
For the Donuts:
- 4 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 1/2 cup apples, peeled, cored and grated
For the Topping:
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375º Fahrenheit.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Whisk together.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, add melted butter, eggs, sugar, buttermilk, nutmeg, and applesauce. Mix together until combined.
- Stir in grated apples.
- Next, add the dry ingredients and mix until dough is uniform.
- Transfer dough into a large ziplock bag. Cut one of the bottom corners off.
- Squeeze dough into a greased donut hole pan.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the donuts spring back when pressed lightly with your fingertip. Do not over bake or the donuts will be dry.
For the Topping:
- To make the topping, mix the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- When donuts are done baking, allow them to cool for 5 minutes.
- Brush each donut with melted butter.
- Dip them into the sugar/cinnamon mixture and enjoy!
Lola Osinkolu | Chef Lola's Kitchen says
Apple donuts, that’s a new one! Saving it for upcoming weekend!
Richard Juwah says
Definitely adding some Baked Apple Donuts to my weight loss workout diet.
The Apples are such a fine substitute to the regular donuts for those of us trying to eat healthy.
How many donuts does this receipe make?
Approximately one dozen depending on how full you fill each donut cavity in the pan.