Mile High Chocolate Mousse Pie – Creamy, decadent chocolate mousse piled high and finished off with Reddi-wip Extra Creamy Dairy Whipped Topping and chocolate shavings.
ConAgra Brands and General Mills sponsored this post, but the opinions are my own.
Remember when I made these Mile High Pumpkin Pie Bars? They were the inspiration for the delicious recipe I’m sharing today. I’m back with another MILE HIGH dessert you and your family and friends are sure to love. It’s the perfect start to a get-together with friends, a perfect afternoon indulgence with a mug of hot coffee or a perfect ending to a holiday meal. And this time, we’re not talking bars, we’re talking pie!
As always, we’re going to make this easy. You have enough to worry about during the holidays. Preparing decadent desserts shouldn’t be stressful. The foundation for the Mile High Chocolate Mousse Pie is a Pillsbury™ Refrigerated Pie Crust.
Pillsbury™ Refrigerated Pie Crusts are super easy to work with if you remember a couple quick tips:
- If you’re taking the pie crust right out of the fridge, defrost it in the microwave for 15-20 seconds before placing it into your pie dish.
- Remember to use a fork to poke some holes in the bottom and sides of the crust before placing into the oven.
The pie dish I used is quite deep so the crust did not extend over the sides of the dish. That’s okay because the filling that goes inside the crust will be a delicious distraction.
The chocolate mousse is truly the star of the show. It’s incredibly easy to whip together. The part you need to be most patient with is heating the chocolate, marshmallows and milk. It takes a bit of time for the marshmallows to melt completely. You’ll want to keep stirring until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
The secret to the fluff is making sure to cool the chocolate mixture long enough, and chilling your mixer bowl before preparing the whipped cream. Once medium to stiff peaks start to form, you’ll want to slow your mixer down and start adding the chocolate mixture.
And yes, it’s okay to lick the spatula and the beaters. I dare you to resist. 😉
I find it’s easiest to make this pie the night before, so it has a good amount of time to set in the refrigerator. If you’re short on time, remember to allow at least three hours of refrigeration.
Then, it’s time for the best part. EATING IT!! I always make sure to have some Reddi-wip® Extra Creamy Dairy Whipped Topping on hand.
I adore the full, rich cream taste, and it’s the perfect way to top off this decadent pie.
I like to add some chocolate shavings to the dollop of Reddi-wip right before serving. If you’re thinking that making chocolate shavings and curls is a lot of work, think again. I used a chocolate bar and just ran a vegetable peeler along the long edge of the candy bar. It worked like a dream and made each piece of pie look even more stunning.
When you serve dessert over the holidays, it should make your guests say, “Wow.” This Mile High Chocolate Mousse Pie is difficult to say no to. Trust me. And I’m pretty sure my friends and family would agree.
So, this holiday season, don’t work so hard in the kitchen. This special season is your time to enjoy, along with the ones you love the most.
This pie promises to be simple to prepare but still presents itself as a show stopper that rarely disappoints. I mean, who doesn’t love a
lotta’ little chocolate? Right? Right. Enjoy, my friends.
Mile High Chocolate Mousse Pie
Creamy, decadent chocolate mousse piled high and finished off with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
- Yield: 8 servings
- 7 ounces milk chocolate (chocolate chips or chocolate candy bar pieces)
- 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 heaping tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 Pillsbury™ Refrigerated Pie Crust, prepared according to instructions on box (make sure to cool)
- Reddi-wip Extra Creamy Dairy Whipped Topping
- Chocolate shavings for garnish, optional
- In a heavy saucepan, heat the milk chocolate, marshmallows and milk over low heat until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth, stirring constantly.
- Cool in the refrigerator for 25-30 minutes.
- Place mixer bowl in freezer for at least 20 minutes to chill.
- Pour heavy whipping cream, vanilla and sugar into mixer bowl and whisk on high speed until medium to stiff peaks form, about 1 minute (remember not to over beat).
- Fold in whipped cream to cooled chocolate mixture.
- Spoon into crust.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
Ready to Ditch the Clutter?
If you feel like you're DROWNING in "STUFF" and are ready to break through the clutter, there's no better time to start than right now!