Homemade Shamrock Shake – This classic copycat McDonald’s Shamrock Shake recipe is made at home in just under 10 minutes with only a few simple ingredients! It’s minty, frosty, and delicious!
This post may include affiliate links. Please see my disclosure.
It’s that time of the year again… Shamrock Shake season! This St. Patrick’s Day dessert is delicious, but we all know that it’s only available seasonally at McDonald’s.
With this homemade recipe, you can make this delicious milkshake at any time of the year! It’s super simple and made with just a few basic ingredients – and it tastes just like, if not better than, the original!
The mint and vanilla flavor combo is sure to please both kids and adults any time of the year. Plus, being able to make this limited-time, special dessert year-round is super convenient!
So, let’s get started!
HOW TO MAKE A SHAMROCK SHAKE AT HOME
Before you get started, make sure to grab the following ingredients:
MIXING UP THE SHAKE
Once you’ve gathered all your ingredients, follow the steps below for a super simple St. Patrick’s treat!
- Put the ice cream and milk in your blender.
- Add the food coloring and mint extract.
- Blend the mixture until it’s smooth and the color is uniform.
- Prepare your glasses and toppings and get ready to enjoy!
Pour the mixture into glasses and top with whipped cream, sprinkles and a cherry!
DIY SHAMROCK SHAKE TIPS
- Use less milk for a thicker consistency and more milk for a thinner consistency. Using heavy cream instead of milk can make for a more creamy shake.
- Be sure to use mint extract rather than peppermint extract for that authentic Shamrock Shake taste!
- Use festive glasses and themed straws to make this dessert even more fun!
- For adults who want their Shamrock Shake to be boozy, try adding some Bailey’s or Creme de Menthe.
WHAT OTHER INGREDIENTS CAN YOU ADD TO THIS HOMEMADE SHAMROCK SHAKE RECIPE?
If you are a chocolate lover, consider adding chocolate drizzle, Oreos, or chocolate ice cream to this recipe!
Andes’ mints can also be a great topping for those who can’t get enough mint!
CAN YOU MAKE SHAMROCK SHAKES AHEAD OF TIME?
Shamrock shakes are best when served immediately after mixing them up, but you could probably get away with making them 15-30 minutes ahead of time.
Pour the mixture in the glasses, place them in the freezer, then add the toppings immediately before serving.
CAN YOU FREEZE THE SHAMROCK SHAKE MIXTURE?
Yes, this recipe can be frozen for up to six months in an airtight container. I sometimes like to double or triple the recipe and store it in an ice cream pail.
When ready to enjoy, you can either eat it like ice cream or thaw and blend with a bit of milk to regain the shake consistency!
MORE ST. PATRICK’S DAY RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- St. Patrick’s Day Sugar Cookie Cake Bars
- St. Patrick’s Day Bailey’s Cupcake Cake
- Mint Chocolate Lush Dessert
- Mint Oreo Pudding Shots
- Guinness Cupcakes with Bailey’s Frosting
- Chocolate Fudge Mint Oreo Bars
- Easy Grasshopper Pie
Homemade Shamrock Shake
This classic copycat McDonald’s Shamrock Shake recipe is made at home in just under 10 minutes with only a few simple ingredients! It’s minty, frosty, and delicious!
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- Green food coloring
- 1/4 teaspoon mint extract
- Whipped cream
- Green sprinkles
- Put ice cream, milk, food coloring, and mint extract in your blender.
- Blend until contents and color are uniform.
- Pour mixture into glasses.
- Top with whipped cream, sprinkles, and a cherry.