Red White and Blue Jello Poke Cake – A colorful and delicious cake, perfect for Memorial Day, the 4th of July or any patriotic celebration! The Jello is what makes it super moist!
I’m pretty sure everyone is just a bit extra “giddy” today. Today marks the beginning of a three-day holiday weekend. . . and, for me, the official start of summer up at the lake.
This weekend we have friends coming up to visit, and on Saturday, a bunch of us are getting together with our kids to go horseback riding. It’s something we’ve done over Memorial weekend for the past several years and we all really enjoy it.
If you’re also planning on spending time with friends and family, this Red, White and Blue Poke Cake I’m sharing today is the perfect dessert to share over the holiday weekend, as we celebrate and remember all of the brave military men and women who died so we could be free.
As many of the cake recipes I share on the site, this one, too, begins with a box mix. I am NEVER ashamed to use box mixes in recipes – especially in the summer.
Life continues to move at a rapid pace and convenience is important. Why use tons of ingredients and dirty tons of dishes if you don’t have to? Amen? Amen.
Making a Red, White & Blue Poke Cake
This recipe only requires five ingredients if you don’t count the fridge and pantry staples needed to prepare the cake!
After the cake has been baked and cooled, you can start preparing the jello and poking holes into the cake. I find that the handle of a wooden spoon works great!
Carefully begin to spoon the liquid jello into the holes in the cake. Have fun and alternate colors so you’ll end up with red and blue streaks throughout the cake.
When you’re finished with the jello, place the cake into the fridge for about 30 minutes to allow the jello to set.
A light frosting is all you need and I found a layer of Cool Whip to be the perfect topping for this deliciously moist cake.
Go ahead and sprinkle on some red, white and blue jimmies for the finishing touch.
When you cut into the cake, you’ll see the beautiful colors. It’s such a simple and festive dessert that the entire family will love.
And the jello really makes some vibrant colors. I was so pleased to see how it turned out.
Even though it’s simple, your guests will be impressed!
I hope you and your family have a wonderful Memorial Weekend.☺️??
Red White and Blue Jello Poke Cake
A colorful and delicious cake, perfect for Memorial Day, the 4th of July or any patriotic celebration! The Jello is what makes it super moist!
- White cake mix (prepared according to box directions)
- 1.5 ounces berry blue Jello (half of a small box)
- 1.5 ounces cherry Jello (half of a small box)
- 1 cup boiling water, divided
- 8 ounces whipping topping
- Red, white and blue jimmies
- Prepare cake according to box directions.
- When cake is cooled, combine 1/2 cup boiling water with blue jello in a bowl.
- Stir until dissolved.
- In another bowl, combine 1/2 cup boiling water with red jello.
- Stir until dissolved.
- Using a wooden spoon, poke several holes in the cake.
- Carefully spoon jello mixtures into the holes, trying to only pour one color into each hole. Also be sure to spread the colors throughout to create a fun color pattern.
- Place cake in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to allow jello to soak in.
- Frost with whipped topping and garnish with sprinkles.