Cauliflower Mac & Cheese – Roasted cauliflower florets covered with a homemade creamy cheese sauce. The perfect low-carb, keto side dish that will satisfy your mac & cheese cravings!
This post may include affiliate links. Please see my disclosure.
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese is a twist on the classic dish that substitutes cauliflower for the pasta. The result is a lower carb and better-for-you version of the popular comfort food.
While it may not be exactly like the real thing, this recipe is absolutely delicious and it’s a great way to enjoy this comfort food favorite and satisfy the cravings. In our house, this dish is even kid-approved. I would say that’s a great win!
The recipe we’re making today is super simple and combines roasted cauliflower florets with a homemade cheese sauce. Add crumbled bacon or chopped green onions to brighten up the dish and make it even more amazing!
HOW TO MAKE CAULIFLOWER MAC & CHEESE
To make this keto mac & cheese, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Heavy whipping cream
- Cream cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Monterey Jack cheese
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
This cauliflower mac & cheese is super easy to whip up. Begin by preheating the oven to 425℉.
Then, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and follow the steps below.
- Cut your cauliflower florets and spread them on the baking sheet. Cover the cauliflower evenly with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake the florets for 15-18 minutes or until tender.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, prepare the cheese sauce. Place the heavy whipping cream and cream cheese cubes into a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk the cream cheese consistently until it’s fully melted.
- Add the other cheeses, garlic powder, and onion powder. Whisk until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Once your cauliflower is tender, add it to the cheese mixture and stir.
Dish the cheesy goodness onto plates or in bowls and enjoy immediately. I promise you, this is SO good!
TIPS FOR MAKING CAULIFLOWER MAC & CHEESE
- Use fresh or frozen cauliflower for best results. If using frozen, thaw the cauliflower before roasting.
- Roast the cauliflower until it is very tender – this will help to ensure that it absorbs the flavors of the cheese sauce.
- Use sharp cheddar cheese for the best flavor. Other types of cheese can be used, but sharp cheddar will give the most flavor.
IS CAULIFLOWER MAC & CHEESE KETO-FRIENDLY?
One of the most common questions I get asked about this recipe is whether or not cauliflower mac and cheese is keto-friendly. The answer is yes! Cauliflower is a great source of both fiber and protein, making it an ideal keto-friendly food.
In addition, it contains a compound called sulforaphane, which has been shown to have cancer-preventing properties.
When it comes to cheese, look for a variety that is high in fat and low in carbs, such as cheddar or mozzarella. And be sure to use full-fat milk or cream instead of skim milk, as the fat will help to keep you feeling fuller longer.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVERS
The mac and cheese can be easily stored in the fridge or freezer for later. Simply place the leftovers in an airtight container and pop it in the fridge. It will keep for up to three days.
If you want to store it for even longer, place the container in the freezer. It will keep for up to two months. When you’re ready to enjoy it again, simply thaw it in the fridge overnight and reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave.
MORE LOW-CARB RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Cauliflower Mac & Cheese
Roasted cauliflower florets covered with a homemade creamy cheese sauce. The perfect low-carb, keto side dish that will satisfy your mac & cheese cravings!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1 head cauliflower cut into small florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Prepare a baking sheet by covering it with parchment paper.
- Spread small cauliflower florets on baking sheet.
- Evenly cover with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Bake for 18-21 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- Prepare cheese sauce by placing heavy whipping cream and cream cheese cubes into a large saucepan. Heat over medium heat, whisking often until cream cheese is melted.
- Add cheeses, garlic powder, and onion powder. Whisk until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth.
- Add cauliflower to the cheese mixture and stir together.
- Serve immediately.
Leave a Comment