Peanut Butter Spider Cookies – Soft and chewy peanut butter cookies decorated with adorable chocolate spiders! They’re a perfect not-so-scary Halloween treat!
This post may include affiliate links. Please see my disclosure.
Halloween is just around the corner, and I am all about it! From decorations and crafts to fun Halloween treats, I love it all. Whether you are hosting a Halloween party or just want to make something fun for the kiddos, these peanut butter spider cookies are sure to get everyone in the ghostly spirit.
These spider cookies are super simple to make and a great recipe to have the kids help with in the kitchen. Everyone will love these festive treats that are perfect for the Halloween season.
HOW TO MAKE PEANUT BUTTER SPIDER COOKIES
For these Halloween cookies, you’ll need:
- Baking soda
- Unsalted butter
- Creamy peanut butter
- Light brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Malted milk balls
- Chocolate chips
- White decorating gel
Grab all your ingredients and let’s start making these adorable Halloween spider cookies!
Begin by whisking the flour and baking soda together in a small bowl. Set it aside.
Then, mix your peanut butter and brown sugar in a separate bowl until smooth.
Add the egg and vanilla extract to the peanut butter mixture.
Slowly mix in the flour and baking soda with the peanut butter mixture. Stir until it’s thoroughly combined.
Cover the cookie dough and place it in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes. Then, start preheating your oven to 375℉.
While the oven is preheating, roll your dough into 1-inch balls.
Bake your cookie dough for 8-10 minutes. Then, remove from the oven to cool for 3-minutes.
CREATING THE CHOCOLATE SPIDERS
- To create the spider body, press two malted ball halves into each cookie.
- After you’ve placed the malted balls, allow the cookies to cool completely.
- Then, melt your chocolate chips and transfer them to a ziploc bag.
- Cut a small corner off the bag and pipe 8 chocolate legs onto each spider.
Use white decorating gel to make two eyes on each of the spiders.
Then, use a toothpick to add the melted chocolate to the center of each eye to create a pupil.
CAN I USE CANDY EYES?
If you don’t have a steady hand, or you just don’t want to overcomplicate the recipe, you can use candy eyes instead of making your own spider eyes. I suggest using Wilton Edible Candy Eyeballs.
WHAT’S THE EASIEST WAY TO MELT CHOCOLATE CHIPS?
For this recipe, you will need to melt your chocolate chips. You can either do this on the stove top or you can quickly do it in your microwave.
- Microwave instructions. To melt them in the microwave, place the chips in a microwavable bowl just big enough to hold them. Microwave in 30-second intervals stirring after each 30 seconds to ensure they completely melt.
- Stovetop instructions. Place your chips in a saucepan and put it on the stove. Set the heat on low. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the chips are completely melted.
WHAT COULD I SUBSTITUTE FOR THE MALTED MILK BALLS?
If you don’t like malted milk balls or would like to substitute them for something else, mini peanut butter cups are a great option!
HOW DO I STORE LEFTOVER SPIDER COOKIES?
Once the spider cookies have cooled, the chocolate will become firm. For best results, I recommend storing them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
LOOKING FOR MORE SPOOKY HALLOWEEN TREATS?
- Witch Cauldron Mug Cake
- Candy Halloween Popcorn
- Spooky Halloween Punch
- Candy Corn Cupcakes
- Easy Wicked Witch Cupcakes
- Witchy Caramel Apples
Peanut Butter Spider Cookies
Soft and chewy peanut butter cookies decorated with adorable chocolate spiders! They’re a perfect not-so-scary Halloween treat!
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/3 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 24 malted milk balls, halved
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips, melted
- 1 small tube white decorating gel
- Lightly coat a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Mix flour and baking soda in a small bowl; set aside.
- With a spoon, mix butter, peanut butter and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Add egg and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Add flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Cover dough and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 3 minutes.
- Press two malted milk ball halves into each cookie, creating the body of the spider.
- Allow cookies to cool completely.
- Transfer melted chocolate chips into a ziplock bag.
- Cut a small corner offto pipe 8 legs on each spider.
- Using the white decorating gel, add two eyes to each spider.
- Finally, using a toothpick, dab a small amount of melted chocolate in the middle of each white eye.