Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins – Homemade pumpkin muffins sprinkled with fall spices and lots of chocolate chips!
This post may include affiliate links. Please see my disclosure.
Ahh, November. It’s the season of turkey, pumpkin, cranberries and side dishes – the month that revolves around planning the most extraordinary meal of the year alongside the ones we love.
It’s the most popular month for canned pumpkin, and the only time of year you’ll find it out of stock on grocery store shelves. That happened to me last year, so I know it to be true.?
Well, this year, I was prepared, and stocked up in October so I could bake with pumpkin til my heart’s content.
Today, we’re making some tasty Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins that are perfect for a sweet breakfast or satisfying dessert. Let’s get started!
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
To make these Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins, you’ll need:
- Brown sugar
- Baking soda
- Ground cloves
- Canned pumpkin
- Canola oil
- Vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar
I know it seems like a long list of ingredients, but most you should be able to find right in your pantry especially if you’ve been stocking up for holiday baking season.
You’ll begin by whisking together the flour, sugars, salt, baking soda and spices.
Just set that aside, and in another bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, eggs, canola oil and vanilla extract.
Next, pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir together. Make sure not to over mix.
Just stir until everything is incorporated into the batter.
Fold in the chocolate chips.
Get your muffin tin and scoop the batter into paper liners, about 3/4 full.
Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the batter.
Once baked, you have fluffy, chocolatey pumpkin muffins ready to be dressed.
Dressed with what, you ask? Sweet icing, that’s what.
Drizzle, dunk it – hey, whatever works for you. Bottom line, these muffins are going to get you through the month of November.
Stock up on that canned pumpkin (grab a few extra!) and get baking!
CAN YOU FREEZE MUFFINS?
Yes, you can! After you bake the muffins, cool them completely, then place in freezer bags and store in the freezer for up to three months.
WHAT ELSE COULD I TOP THESE MUFFINS WITH?
You could just opt for a coarse sugar topping. What does that mean? Sprinkle some large sugar crystals on top of the muffins just before baking.
If a streusel topping sounds good to you, try this:
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, melted and cooled
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, sugars and cinnamon.
- Slowly pour the melted butter in the mixture and use a fork to form crumbles.
- Generously sprinkle the streusel over the muffin batter, gently pressing it into the batter.
- Bake as instructed below.
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PURE PUMPKIN AND PUMPKIN PIE FILLING?
IN SEARCH OF MORE TASTY PUMPKIN TREATS?
- Mile High Pumpkin Pie Bars
- Pumpkin Dump Cake
- Pumpkin Mug Cake
- Crustless Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Pie Cake Bars
- Cheesecake Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Homemade pumpkin muffins sprinkled with fall spices and lots of chocolate chips!
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 15 ounce can pure pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
For the Icing
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 375º Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugars, salt, baking soda and spices. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, eggs, canola oil and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir together. Do not over mix, just stir until everything is incorporated into the batter. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter into the paper liners, about 3/4 full. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the batter.
- Bake muffins for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Combine ingredients for icing and drizzle over muffins.