Green Bean Salad – Fresh green beans with tomatoes, fresh herbs and feta cheese, tossed in a light garlic and lemon dressing.
This post may include affiliate links. Please see my disclosure.
“Where did the summer go?” I feel like I say that each and EVERY year. Do you, too?
We’ve been thinking about back to school, feeling the cooler weather move in and planning for the last big holiday season of the summer. . .Labor Day.
So, today, in honor of the last summer holiday where picnic and potluck food abounds, I’m sharing my last “cold salad” recipe of the year. It’s made with fresh green beans, tomatoes, fresh herbs and feta cheese, tossed in a light garlic and lemon dressing.
It’s the perfect side to grilled burgers, brats, chicken or whatever else you’re planning on grilling up!
So, let’s get to making this light and fresh salad!
HOW TO MAKE GREEN BEAN SALAD
To make this fresh green bean salad, you’ll need:
- Green beans
- Grape tomatoes
- Fresh basil leaves
- Fresh parsley leaves
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Feta cheese crumbles
Once you’ve gathered all of your ingredients, you’re going to begin by blanching the green beans. Blanching the beans produces a crisp bean. I’ve never known anyone who prefers “soggy” beans.🤔
All you need to do is cook the beans in boiling water for 2-3 minutes and then transfer them to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process.
While the beans rest in the ice water, let’s whip up the dressing.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and minced garlic and set aside.
Grab a large mixing bowl and mix together the tomatoes, parsley and basil.
Once you’ve strained the water off of the green beans, pat them dry with a paper towel and add them to the bowl with the tomatoes and herbs.
How fresh does that look? What gorgeous color!
Now, go ahead and pour the dressing over salad.
Sprinkle the feta cheese crumbles on top and mix the salad gently.
The salad is ready to serve!
HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST GREEN BEANS
When choosing your green beans for the salad, the skin should be smooth and tight. If you’re seeing lots of bumps, lumps and creases, don’t use them!
The skin surface will tell you a lot about the freshness of the beans. You’ll want to look for beans that are:
- A bright green color and free of any blemishes or brown spots.
- Thinner – larger, more mature beans aren’t as firm and tend to be tough
- Firm to the touch with no visible bulges
HOW DO I STORE FRESH GREEN BEANS?
To store fresh green beans, place them in a ziplock bag for up to 1 week in the fridge. Don’t wash them until you ned them or they could get moldy.
Inserting a piece of paper towel into the bag to absorb any extra moisture would also be a great idea if you plan to try and keep the green beans in the fridge for longer than 4-5 days.
CAN I MAKE THIS SALAD AHEAD OF TIME?
You can make the dressing and assemble most of the salad ahead of time. In fact, making the dressing ahead of time gives the flavors more time to meld.
When ready to serve, just toss the salad with the dressing and mix in the feta cheese.
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS SUMMER SALADS?
- Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad
- Pineapple Pretzel Salad
- Dorito Taco Salad
- Broccoli & Tomato Salad
- Easy Pea Salad
- Snickers Caramel Apple Salad
- Tuna Pasta Salad
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Cheddar Broccoli Pasta Salad
- Seven Layer Salad
- Avocado Salad
- Triple Berry Shortcake Salad
Green Bean Salad
Fresh green beans with tomatoes, fresh herbs and feta cheese, tossed in a light garlic and lemon dressing.
- 2 pounds green beans, ends snipped and beans cut in half
- 14 ounces grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Add the green beans and cook until tender crisp, 2-3 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer beans to a large bowl of ice water while you prepare the dressing.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and minced garlic.
- Strain ice water off of beans and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Place tomatoes, parsley, and basil in a large mixing bowl. Toss together.
- Add beans and mix.
- Pour dressing over salad, sprinkle cheese crumbles on top and mix gently.
- Serve immediately.
Leave a Comment