Smashed Avocado Toast With Egg – Fresh and creamy avocado spread onto toast and topped with a sunny side up egg with basil and a drizzle of balsamic glaze. A satisfying and healthy breakfast!
This post may include affiliate links. Please see my disclosure.
Happy New Year! How good does it feel to know we can put 2020 behind us? I think we’ve all been anticipating and waiting for 2021 to make its debut and TODAY is the DAY!
After lots of holiday celebration and food galore, I’m feeling like I need to detox a bit. Step away from the candy and cookies and embrace the lean protein and veggies.
If you’re feeling like you need to get back on track with eating a bit more healthy, too, boy, do I have the perfect breakfast (or brunch) recipe for you!
Today we’re making Smashed Avocado Toast with Egg! It’s fresh avocado spread onto toast and topped with a sunny side up egg with basil and a drizzle of balsamic glaze. It’s full of flavor and good for you, too!
Are you ready to get 2021 started with a healthy breakfast? Well then, heat up that frying pan and let’s get going!
HOW TO MAKE SMASHED AVOCADO TOAST WITH EGG
To make this delicious and healthy breakfast, you’ll need:
- Fresh lemon juice
- Salt & pepper
- Balsamic glaze
- Cherry tomatoes (optional)
Most of my recipes are pretty straight-forward, but this one is even more so. Once you have the avocado mashed and the eggs fried, you can start assembling your toast.
Spread the smashed avocado over the slices of toast and then top each slice with a fried egg, balsamic glaze and chopped basil.
I like to serve some cherry tomatoes on the side because it adds to the freshness and adds a pop of color.
IS AVOCADO TOAST HEALTHY?
Avocado toast has many health benefits. It’s healthy fat that’s high in fiber and low in carbs. However, you always need to be mindful of serving sizes. Portion control is everything.
HOW TO PICK THE BEST AVOCADOS
For this recipe, although you’ll be mashing the avocados, you’ll still want to steer clear of anything overly ripe. Look for avocados that have some “give” when squeezed but try to avoid using avocados that are stringy or mushy on the inside.
Scoop out and discard any brown spots within the avocados before mashing them.
WHY DO YOU ADD LEMON JUICE TO AVOCADO?
The Citric acid in lemon juice slows the browning process of the avocado. Avocado is always so much more pleasing to the eye when it’s fresh and bright green!
DO I NEED TO ADD THE EGG?
Of course not. If you don’t like eggs, then you don’t have to add them. I
f you’re in a hurry and just don’t have time to fry one up, try swapping it with a hard boiled egg right from the fridge (I often keep hard-boiled eggs in the fridge for snacking 😉).
HOW DO STORE LEFT OVER AVOCADO MASH?
If you have any smashed avocado left over, just store it in the fridge in a small bowl, tightly covered with plastic wrap. It should keep for 2-3 days.
Just scoop off the top layer before eating if it turns brown.
SEARCHING FOR MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES?
- Coffee Cake Glazed Muffins
- Perfect Pancakes
- Air Fryer French Toast
- Egg in a Hole
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Ninja Foodi French Toast Bites
- Cinnamon Sugar Donut Mug Cake
- Air Fryer Omelette
- French Toast Bake
- Air Fryer Bacon
- Easy Coffee Cake
- Ninja Foodi (Pressure Cooker) Egg Bites
Smashed Avocado Toast With Egg
Fresh and creamy avocado spread onto toast and topped with a sunny side up egg with basil and a drizzle of balsamic glaze. A satisfying and healthy breakfast!
- 2 avocados
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices bread, toasted
- Balsamic glaze
- Basil, chopped
- Cherry tomatoes, sliced (optional)
- Slice avocados in half and discard the pits.
- Using the tip of a paring knife, score the avocado flesh into medium squares while still inside the shells.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the cubes into a bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and salt.
- Gently smash the avocado squares with a fork or spoon. Set aside.
- Heat a nonstick sauté pan over medium heat.
- Spray with nonstick spray and fry the eggs until the whites are completely set but the yolks are still soft.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Remove pan from heat.
- Spread smashed avocado over slices of toast.
- Top each piece of toast with fried egg, balsamic glaze and chopped basil.
- Serve with sliced cherry tomatoes if desired.