Pumpkin Crisp – Creamy pumpkin pie filling topped with a crunchy cinnamon sugar streusel topping baked right in a cast iron skillet!
This post may include affiliate links. Please see my disclosure.
I can’t believe it’s Halloween tomorrow! The month of October flew by!
If you’re still looking for some easy activities or recipes to make this weekend super special, here are a few of my favorites you should really check out!
- Magic Potion Punch – A magical punch that fizzes and bubbles when you add the secret ingredient. Tastes delicious, too! Great for mad scientist and Halloween parties or just anytime you need a little magic.
- Solar Light Jack O’ Lantern – Use a simple solar light to illuminate your jack ‘o lantern this year. It’s safe and easy!
- Spooky Expanding Ghost Experiment – Teach kids a thing or two about carbon dioxide with this fun science experiment using ingredients you already have in your house!
- Witch Cauldron Mug Cake – A chocolate mug cake made in a ceramic witch cauldron with halloween-themed frosting and sprinkles!
- Halloween Veggie Pizza – A spooky themed graveyard pizza featuring a flavorful ranch cream cheese covered crust, topped with colorful veggies and “tombstone” crackers.
So, now, onto the main show – this Pumpkin Crisp! It’s creamy pumpkin pie filling topped with crunchy cinnamon sugar streusel, baked in a cast iron skillet!
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN CRISP
To make this amazing fall dessert, you’ll need:
- Can of pumpkin puree
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Heavy Cream
Grab a bowl and mix together the pumpkin, sugar, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, salt and vanilla.
Whisk in the heavy cream until the mixture is smooth.
Now, pour that delicious filling into a buttered cast iron pan. I use a 12″ skillet.
Set the skillet aside for a minute and grab a medium mixing bowl. Whisk together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
Add the melted butter and stir until crumbly.
Evenly spread streusel over top of filling.
Bake for 40-45 minutes at 375º Fahrenheit or until the filling is set and the topping is golden brown.
HOW SHOULD I TOP PUMPKIN CRISP?
I normally top pumpkin crisp with ice cream, especially when it’s warm. You can also use whipped cream, caramel sauce or even hot fudge!
CAN PUMPKIN CRISP BE PREPPED AHEAD OF TIME?
The answer is, yes! You can prep pumpkin crisp the day before by following three simple steps:
- Mix up the filling and store it in the fridge in an airtight container.
- Make the topping ahead of time and store it in a ziplock bag on the counter.
- Combine the two and bake when you’re ready to enjoy!
HOW DO I STORE PUMPKIN CRISP?
Cover the remaining cooled crisp with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate. You’ll want to enjoy the leftover crisp within two days. You could just eat it cold right out of the container or you can warm it in the microwave for 15-20 seconds!
Remember that once you refrigerate the crisp, the topping will become less crunchy.
CAN I FREEZE PUMPKIN CRISP?
Yes, you can freeze pumpkin crisp for up to 3 months. Wrap the crisp in foil and place in a freezer-safe bag or container. Thaw out the crisp and then warm in the oven or the microwave.
Keep in mind that once you freeze the crisp, just like refrigerating it, the topping will no longer be crunchy.
LOOKING FOR MORE TASTY FALL TREATS?
Creamy pumpkin pie filling topped with a crunchy cinnamon sugar streusel topping baked right in a cast iron skillet!
For the Filling
- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree (pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
For the Cinnamon Streusel
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375º Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix pumpkin, sugar, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and vanilla.
- Whisk in heavy cream until smooth.
- Pour filling into a buttered 12-inch cast iron skillet.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt together.
- Add melted butter and stir until crumbly.
- Evenly spread streusel over top of filling.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the filling is set and the topping is golden brown.